Back to the main articles page     


Sunday morning, September 4, 2005, I arrived in Maryville, Tennessee
at approximately 7:15am, at which time I promptly set up a vigil in
the traffic island on the corner of Lamar Alexander Parkway and
Broadway Street; the exact same location provided for me by the
Maryville police earlier in the week.

I remained there, and I must interject in a somewhat carnival type
atmosphere as the people expressed their pleasure in seeing me in my
uniform and the Christian Cross of Saint Andrew flying briskly, until
approximately 10:50am, at which time I began to make my way to church.
I must truthfully say that by this time I had abandonded the original
plan to attend either ST.Paul or St.Johns; the traditional Black
churches; for as I had sat there all morning looking at New Providence
Presbyterian Church reminiscing on the events that had transpired
earlier in the week, when their Associate pastor not only spoke to me
in a tone and language unbecoming a man of his station, but had also
communicated a threat to physically remove me from the public easement
that abutted the church property. I surely had to attend their church

As if by some divine providence, as I drove my van out of the parking
lot, sitting right in front of me was Saint Paul African Methodist
Episcopal Zion Church. I agonized for what seemed an eternity on
whether to head to New Providence or St.Paul. I wanted so much to go
and look and look the congregation of New Providence in the eye so
that I might know what kind of place would employ a man of the cloth
who had spoken to me in such a vulgar way. As I wave at some of the
parishioners of ST.Paul, I decided on the latter and reluctantly made
my way across the street to ST.Paul, where I was received with great
honor by the Pastor Rev. Wila Estell and congregation, and asked to
please come again to visit with them.

I found it ironic that the Black congregation in Maryville would open
their arms to me on this morning as they watched intently as I sat
waving my flag, and would wave to me as they would drive by again, for
I had returned to my spot on the island after church, only a stones
throw away; and all the white minister had for me was vulgarities and
threats of violence.

It is important to note that I had lunch with Brian and Lisa Thomas
and son Cameron shortly before I was to leave Maryville. This is
important because they would tell me the same story that many people
who visited with me : the Knoxville Centinel had delivered newspapers
to almost every citizen on August 8, 2005 in Maryville, even those who
had no subscritpion to it. On this particular Sunday the paper carried
a story that would slander Mr.Kirk D.Lyons and myself, one that we
would influence the school board to make an unfavorable decision
against the flag in Maryville and certainlly tarnish my image with
the black citizens there as we worked so hard to effectuate a step to

I would also be visited by the only school board member to vote
against banning the flag. He would speak so reverently about the wrong
of tamperring with the 1st admendent rights violated by this ban and
how it would open the door to more injustices.